Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Help: How Do I Recondition Leather Furniture?

Have you ever seen the blog Mr. Goodwill Hunting?  Well it is written by Rashon Carraway who is a contributor on The Nate Berkus show.  He does amazing things with Goodwill finds.  Like this Baker cabinet he found for $75, which originally retailed for $17,370.  Wow.  Then he painted it gray and it looks amazing.
So, inspired by his blog, I dropped by the local thrift store, and I found a cute little gray leather chair.  I looked at the bottom and it said Crate & Barrel.  Googled Crate & Barrel leather chair and it appears they are selling chairs similar to this one for about $2,000.  I'll take it.  $20 is what I paid.
It actually looks better than the picture shows.  There are no cracks in it, just some scrapes that I think will go away with some conditioner or gray polish.  The only thing wrong with it is a small spot with packing tape sticky.  I'm not sure how to get it off, and I don't want to try things and mess up the chair.  Does anyone know the best way to recondition leather furniture?

5 comments:

Amy said...

Don't know the answer, but wanted to say that your find is fantastic!! I'm leery of upholstered pieces at Goodwill, but leather - no problem! Sadly, my Goodwill charges outrageous prices for furniture. It's crazy!

Kristy said...

What a great deal!! I don't know much about reconditioning leather though..sorry!

Unknown said...

What a great find! I would use Googone on the tape but try it out some place on the chair that can't be seem to make sure it doesnt change the leather color. Not sure how to restore the leather? I like it the way it is.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about the reconditioning but I just had to give you a virtual high five for that amazing find!!!

simply brookes: said...

love the goodwill find, lady. good eyes. love it even just as it is. can't i come iwth you next time and fill up my big old car? a girl can dream, eh?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...