Wednesday, September 19, 2007

What Works For Me: Organizing Coloring Books


I read this great little tip in my new favorite magazine, Real Simple. I've had kids for 12 years, so the pile of activity/coloring books we have collected is impressive. They are always a mess, though. Or the kids can't find them. And we have too many. My favorite new coloring book organizer is a cheap dish rack. Pick your favorite books out of the pile and put them in the rack. Anything that doesn't fit in the rack goes in the round file (when I worked at the law firm, this is what we called the trash can). Use the utensil cup for crayons and scissors.
One of my other, most favorite kid-craft organizers is paint buckets. You can get clean, empty, new paint cans for about $3.50 at The Home Depot. We have 1 for color pencils, 1 for pens, and 1 for paint brushes/paint. They fit perfectly on shelves. You can leave them just how they are or you can decorate them with paper. The one in the picture doesn't have a handle, but they do come with the standard paint can handle.

That is my contribution to What Works for Me Wednesday. For more WWFM tips, go visit Rocks in My Dryer.

25 comments:

Nikki said...

I really like this coloring book organizing idea. Very creative!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. Very creative.

Unknown said...

very great ideas! thanks for your comment on my blog too!

T with Honey said...

Finally, a use for my old dish rack! I'll have to pull that out of the attic tonight.

SAHMmy Says said...

Great tips! My son is finally interested in coloring (3 1/2) so we need a system like this!

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

What a clever idea! I am going to mention it to my daughter's daycare teachers and score some "good mommy" points to be redeemed on days when the hair brushing didn't go so well or Reid's face still has cereal. The teachers will think, "She can't be a bit scattered but remember the dish rack idea."

Mimi said...

Excellent idea!

Penny said...

Simply brilliant!

savvycityfarmer said...

I'm diggin' the paint bucket thingy!!!

Kiy said...

WOW! What a fab idea! I am making a note of this GREAT tip! Thanks, what a wonderful WFMW!

Kiy

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

Using a dish rack is an AWESOME idea! I think I will add that to my shopping list this weekend!

Thanks for sharing this great tip!

Dawn said...

I love these ideas! Thanks.

Becka said...

That is a really awesome idea!

Laura said...

Hello! This really is a fantastic idea and totally qualifies for a Storage Star in my book! Send me an email to let me know it's okay.

orgjunkie@hotmail.com

Thanks!
Laura

Marcia Francois said...

Well done on your storage star, Heather. This is a great idea :)

Organising queen and
Marcia's take charge blog

Rebecca said...

Congrats on the Storage Star Award! What a creative idea! I'll have to remember that as my little ones build up their collection. Oh & I also like the paint can idea. I've been wanting to scrap a paint can & will keep storage ideas in mind when I do.

Michie said...

That's a great idea! :)

Unknown said...

This advance is aberrant and Pandora Jewellery uk accept been adapting on a circadian basis, back its accumulation over two years ago, to accommodated this astonishing demand. With over 2.5 billion altered combinations to wear, Pandora’s jewellery is absolutely different and allows the wearer to accurate thier own claimed style.

Amanda Factor said...

Hi, I'm the editor of CanadianParents.com and we'd love to link to this in our upcoming Organization Month. Can you please email me: amanda.factor@rci.rogers.com. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Excellent ideas, especially the dish rack one. I'm definitely doing that.

Unknown said...

WOw I love that idea!! Makes everything organized and easy to find!! Thanks for sharing

Marie said...

I love it, thanks a lot !!!

Anonymous said...

Great idea.

Bridget Green said...

Also, coffee cans work really well for storage. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...